6.16.2010

summer reading #2*

*didn't mention this the first time: my project this summer is to read (at least on average) 1,000 pages a week, all books I've never read before.

G. K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man: A foray through human history filled with the insights and tangents that make Chesterton Chesterton.

Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan, The Strain: Some say this book was made for the screen, but I don`t think so; the action is snappy and the visuals are electric, but I can`t see a movie pulling off the character development or fitting in the side plots. Plus, some things are more sinister when left to our imaginations.

Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters: Sure, it's huge, but it's also the perfect accompaniment for a long day in the car. I turned over the 649th and final page with a happy sigh (or something) just as we turned the corner to home.

Russell Martin, Beethoven's Hair: The subtitle says it all: "An extraordinary historical odyssey and a scientific mystery solved."

Edith Nesbit, The Magic World: A pleasant compendium of bite-sized stories. I would have loved this as a kid; I`ll settle for loving it now.

Lewis Thomas, The Fragile Species: Broad, meditative, and delightful. A lot of the chapters overlap here and there (due to being written separately), but it makes for a cohesive whole rather than a sense of redundance.

Connie Willis, Passage: This is the first book in a long time to keep me up well into the night, reading so hard the pages smoke. A unique, perfectly-paced novel... I have a beef or two with the ending, but it worked so well I couldn't actually be disappointed.

Books: 7
Pages: 2655 (I'm 350 pages behind! Ack!)
If you read one, read: Passage.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad and happy you liked Passage. Connie Willis is good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever read anything by Eleanor Farjeon? If you're loving Nesbit, I think you'd love Farjeon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! I'll check it out... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, Gaskell. I read "Wives and Daughters" a long time ago. I'd love to re-read it.

    ReplyDelete