3.12.2012

"lost" (short fiction)

"Don't worry," he told me. "We're not lost."
"Are you sure? How can you tell in the dark?"
"Of course," he said. "There's a bridge. We can get over the creek up there and then find a hill, and then we'll be able to see those lights I saw earlier. We'll find a house or someone who can help us or something."
I craned my neck to see, but couldn't.
He was hurrying ahead, and I followed behind as quickly as I could, half-running on my shorter legs to the edge of the creek. It was wider here than it had been upstream, and had picked up speed. Spray coated the stones of the bridge. I sprawled.
He stopped. "Are you all right?"
"I lost my glasses. Can you see them?"
"Glasses. Glasses. I don't see them."
"Well, without them I can't see anything, especially not in the dark, so do you mind maybe looking harder?"
"Oh, sure. Of course."
I felt in front of where I had landed, crawling cautiously toward the edge. "They're not--"
There was a splash.
"What happened?"
"I kicked them into the water." I said.
"We'll go slower," he said. "Do you think you can see enough to just follow me the rest of the way?" he said. I nodded, and took a deep breath. "Oh, love. It'll be fine."
"It'll be fine," I repeated.
We found the hill. "That looks like a house, right? Over there."
I could see a light. "Let's go."
From there we went about a mile, maybe a little more. The light was getting close. It was a porch light, he said. Someone definitely lived there, we would just have to wake them up.
He rang the doorbell. "It must be disconnected," he said, pressing it again. "Oh well." He knocked loudly.
Finally, footsteps came down the stairs. "Good, someone's awake," he said, then stopped to listen.
"Where did they go?" I said. We waited again.
"I wonder if it's locked," he said.
"We can't just break into their house."
"Someone's awake, we heard them." He tried the door. It swung in. "Hello?" he called. "Hello?"
He flipped a switch, but it only turned off the porch light. He flipped it again. "Can you see a light switch anywhere?"
"No."
"Oh. Sorry. Do you want to stay here?"
"Yes, please."
He went around a corner and disappeared. His footsteps went across the room and up the stairs, out of earshot. I waited.
The front door swung shut with a creak, and the lock clicked into place. I couldn't open it.
The porch light went out.

No comments:

Post a Comment